In part one of Sperion’s frequently asked questions about asbestos article, we looked at the health risks associated with this dangerous material, how it can be identified and what to do if you suspect your home or workplace is at risk. In our second instalment, we will look more closely at the commercial and construction side of things. Several tradesmen and labourers might be coming into contact with different types of asbestos, which could be a cause for concern. However, Sperion is on hand to provide help and assistance should this be the case. If our answers to common queries don’t address the problems or issues you are facing, do not hesitate in contacting us for further guidance.

What should I do if I come across potential asbestos materials at work?

If you suspect you’re working with materials that might contain different types of asbestos, such as lagging, insulating boards, cement and textured coating, stop what you’re doing immediately. Determine whether asbestos is present or not and carry out a risk assessment. Non-licensed work on asbestos should only be performed if you have had the appropriate training and instruction. Otherwise the help of a licensed contractor is required. Your employer should let you know whether coming into contact with asbestos is a possibility in the first place anyway.

Should my employer provide protective clothing and equipment?

If there is a chance you’ll be exposed to asbestos, then your employer should provide you with adequate personal protective clothing. This can include overalls, gloves, footwear and respiratory protective equipment. These clothes and equipment are suitable for the majority of short duration non-licensed work. However, clothing should not be taken home while respirators must not be left in an area where they can collect dust.

Do I need a license for working with asbestos?

Not all work with asbestos materials requires a license, but there are certain instances where it is essential. For example, work with sprayed asbestos coatings, asbestos insulation or asbestos lagging does require a license due to the hazardous nature of these high risk materials. If you are coming into contact with these materials, then you should contact a licensed provider such as Sperion. We are a one-stop-shop service for surveying, testing, managing, removing and disposing of asbestos in a variety of working environments.

What should I do if I’ve been exposed to asbestos?

If you believe you’ve been inadvertently exposed to asbestos, you should consult your GP, who may refer you to a specialist in respiratory medicine. Due to the nature of illnesses caused by asbestos, it may take years for problems to develop and become apparent. But to prepare for every eventuality, make a personal record about possible exposure, which will include dates, duration, type of asbestos and likely subjection levels.

Where can I seek further help and advice?

Numerous resources about asbestos can be found on the HSE’s (Health and Safety Executive) website. But if you’d prefer speaking to an experienced and knowledge provider of asbestos removal and disposal, get in touch with Sperion.